All the day’s economic and financial news, as Britain’s blue-chip index rises to a new intraday high
- Latest: FTSE hits record high in early trading
- Blue-chip index hits 7460 points, led by miners
- China’s ‘belt and road’ plan drives rally
- Russia and Saudi back oil curbs
- Introduction: Markets rally in Europe and Asia
- Greece is back in recession
Newsflash from America: The factory sector of New York state has weakened this month, adding to a recent run of disappointing US data.
The Empire State manufacturing index has dropped to minus 1, from 5.2 in April, dashing hopes of a rise to 7.0.
Empire Manufacturing (May) continues the recent trend of softening US data… first negative print since October 2016 pic.twitter.com/8v91MMQneY
New Orders, -4.4 pic.twitter.com/vQ6vWg20LE
The US stock market is tipped to rise slightly when trading begins, in 80 minutes.